Numerology is a key component of astrology defining nearly every part of it. Esoteric practitioners have long known of the occult power and mystic virtue to be found in numbers. Here is some of what they know.
Without numbers, astrology would be impossible. Astrology is concerned with dates, angles, houses, charts, cusps, planetary movements, the circular path of the ecliptic, equinoxes, lunar nodes and much more. The zodiac itself is defined by numbers. Horoscopes and charts are determined by numbers.
In 1890, William Wynn Westcott, the Supreme Magus of the Rosicrucian Society of England, published one of the most respected tomes on numerology, entitled: Numbers: Their Occult Power and Mystic Virtues. The original form of the book is readily available for free in a variety of formats at archive.org. A newer, colorized, free PDF of the book can also be found with a little searching on Google.
In the book, Westcott covers a broad scope of numerology from its beginnings, discussing Pythagoras and adepts such as H.P. Blavatsky, Eliphaz Levi, as well as the Kabbalah and the relationship between Hebrew and Greek letters with numerology.
The book is one of the seminal works on the occult meaning of numbers. Interpretations can become lost or distorted over time, especially in this Internet age. We already see that in our everyday language. Westcott’s treatise is a way to get back to the source of the esoteric understanding of numerology as understood over a century ago.
1. The Monad. Leo. The Sun.
2. The Dyad. Aquarius. The moon. 2 nodes Caput and Cauda Draconis. 2 aspects of planets: benefic and malefic.
3. The Triad. Capricorn. Saturn. Jupiter. Time: Past, present and future.
4. The Tetrad. Sagittarius. Mercury. The 4 elements (air, fire, water, earth). The 4 cardinal points (north, west, east, south). 4 suits of the old tarot cards (wands, cops, swords and pentacles).
5. The Pentad. Cancer. Mercury. Venus. Light. Pentagram/pentacle.
6. The Hextad. Taurus. Venus. Harmony. Regeneration or reincarnation. Six sixties of 360 degrees. Hours. Seconds.
7. The Heptad. Aries. The moon. The Pleiades.
8. The Ogdoad. Libra. Saturn and its moons.
9. The Ennead. Scorpio. Mars. Juno. Fire.
10. The Decad. Virgo. The Sun. The universe. Eternity. Deity. Heaven. A circle.
11. Eleven. Pisces. The imperfect, sinful and harmful. Violence, destruction, defeat and death.
12. Twelve. Gemini. The zodiac. Perfect and notable character. 12 x 30 degrees = the perfect cycle of 360 a arithmetical degrees of the circle; each sign further subdivided into three decans.